- Overview: Learn to safely lead climb, rappel, and clean routes
- Duration: 2 full days (6-8 hours per day)
- Cost: USD $575
- Skill Level: Completed Intro to Rock Climbing course or equivalent experience.
- Fitness Level: Able to comfortably climb 5.6 routes
This course is aimed at persons with climbing experience or who have completed our Intro to Rock Climbing course and want to step into the world of lead climbing. Cayman Brac is the perfect place to learn how to lead climb with a wide range of climbing grades and the safest climbing bolts in the world. We strongly focus on safety using the latest AMGA guidelines, so even if you have some lead climbing experience, we highly recommend taking this course to learn the best practices to keep you safe in the Brac and beyond. This course will change your life by teaching you skills that will allow you to sport climb safely and independently all over the world. This is the beginning of your life-long climbing adventure…
The course curriculum includes:
- Standardized climbing terminology so you can speak the lingo and understand climbers and guides wherever you are in the world.
- Review proper lead belay techniques with different belay devices to ensure the climber is kept safe at all times.
- How to tie the most important climbing knots and hitches including: Prusik, Klemheist, Double Fisherman, Munter Hitch, Clove Hitch, Figure of Eight on a Bight, and Overhand on a Bight
- Rappelling using a friction hitch for a backup to descend in a safe and controlled manner.
- Multiple methods of cleaning a route that will allow you to climb any sport route in the world
- Becoming confident with lead climbing and overcoming the fear of falling with practice and proper technique.
- Expanding your knowledge of safety procedures and learning to avoid the most common mistakes.
- Learning how to move efficiently and effectively on the wall by using correct body positions and mastering your footwork
- Successfully preserving your strength and endurance so you can climb harder and longer.
After completing this course you will have all the skills necessary to be a fully independent lead sport climber. You are guaranteed to leave this course with a massive improvement in skills and a solid boost in confidence!